About The Oaks
Our dedicated team of counsellors are experienced in either integrative or person centred counselling. They are either fully qualified or in the final stage of qualifying for a diploma or degree in counselling, and are either accredited, or working towards this status.
They receive regular supervision from a qualified supervisor and as members of a professional body, either British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) or the Association of Christian Counsellors (ACC), they abide by the relevant professional code of ethics and practice. As an organisation, we are affiliated to the Association of Christian Counsellors.
We welcome enquiries from anyone, regardless of whether or not they have a faith, and will respect the individual’s personal beliefs.
Statement of Faith
The Oaks Counselling Service affirms the central truths of the Christian faith as expressed in the Bible that:
- The Bible is the authority in all areas of belief and practice, fully trustworthy for faith and conduct
- There is one true God who lives eternally in three persons – the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit
- People are created in the image of God but, because they are sinful and fallen, they live in a world where suffering, pain, guilt, fear, broken relationships and fragmented communities occur and are in need of God’s redeeming grace
- God is both the creator and judge of human beings and their Redeemer in Christ
- Christ is the one true Saviour and Lord. Through His life, death, resurrection and the work of His Holy Spirit, God rescues people, even though they do not deserve it, and brings them to faith in Christ, resulting in healing, wholeness and maturity
- God’s desire for His people is for them to work to bring healing and wholeness of spirit, mind and body
In the light of the above, Christian counselling may be defined as ‘that activity which seeks to help people towards constructive change and growth in any or every aspect of their lives through a caring relationship and within agreed relational boundaries, carried out by counsellors who have a Christian worldview, values and beliefs’.
The Oaks aims to honour God in seeking to provide professional, supervised counselling to people who are passing through difficult stages in their lives, or have difficult life issues, and feel they need help to work through these stages and issues. People of any age, race or gender, whether of Christian faith or of no faith, are welcomed.
My counsellor is kind, warm, supportive, consistent and very calm and I valued this greatly. The service in general was caring, as prompt as it could be and I felt that I was in safe hands. Thank you very much – I would recommend this counselling service.